If anyone is still there, I do want help. I've spent all day at this.

Ground rules:
1 - If you can't help, please don't try.
2 - Please don't assume I haven't read how to install Debian. I have. It's no
big deal.
3 - My computer boots from USB - no problem. I'm booting Debian Live from USB.
So, please don't tell me how hard it is or how the BIOS must support it or how
I'm too stupid, too lazy, or too arrogant to understand that.
4 - Please don't assume I'm Windows-lazy or Windows-stupid. Windows-NT 3.5 was
probably the finest OS ever written when David Cutler was done with it. Then
Bill Gates ruined it by creating Direct-X to improve entertainment media
performance (thereby bypassing the Intel call-gate mechanism, thereby
destroying Intel's 4-level protection model). This directly lead to rootkits
and to my hate of Microsoft. Of course, adding port listeners to support
RPC-enabled remote desktop utilities (which gave viruses access to the
rootkits) closed the deal.
5 - Please, if it's been years since you've tried to install to USB, kindly
refrain from complaining and let other people help me.
6 - I have a particular need that will not be met by doing a more standard
installation, so if you can't help, please don't suggest that I create a more
standard installation of Debian.
7 - My objective is not be become a Linux enthusiast.
8 - Please don't suggest that I don't know how to, or that am too lazy to use
Google to search for answers.

My objective is to create a bootable USB flash drive, or a bootable USB hard drive
that I can then use to run Iceweasel & Icedove, period. That's all I want to do
with Linux. Oh, a partition that can be accessed by both Linux and Windows is
needed for downloads and email profiles. The Windows system will not have
networking installed.

My capabilities:
Virtual Machines - I've created and used both VirtualBox and VMware Player virtual
machines. If I could run Firefox & Thunderbird in a WinXP client without also
having to install networking in the WinXP host, I'd do it in a second and wouldn't
need Linux.
Unix - I used Unix. I've installed and used Solaris. I've designed
Sun-compatible single-board computers.
Apache - I've installed, configured, and maintained complex, multiple-domain
Apache servers.

My problem:
During the Debian installation (to USB thumb drive or USB hard drive), when it
goes to install GRUB, it fails.

What can you suggest I do? I will try anything.

Thanks - Mark.