Hi there,

I struggled a long time trying to get my usb monitor working this
days... And luckily I got it work (some kind) today, with static xorg
configuration files.

The kernel came with my system (Debian 7, a new installation. That
also applies to Debian 6 iirc) recognized the monitor and used udlfb
as driver to provide a framebuffer node at /dev/fb1. The X system
worked with using fbdev as xorg driver if write the configuration
manually, but xrandr could not find that monitor without a static
screen configuration. And simply include a static config for only the
displaylink monitor will suppress the auto detection to other
monitors, and the the framebuffer one whould be the only screen
avaliable to X environment, which is not good.

What I want to do is to find a way to tell X.org to treat the /dev/fb1
in a hot-plugable manner, which allows me to configure my screen
settings on the fly, since I'm using Debian on my laptop and the
moniter setup varies from time to time.

Any idea about how to do it?

Posted by Haochen Xie