On 04/04/2013, at 6:24 PM, Rick Thomas <rbtho...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
>

>> As above, the iomega ix2-200 meets these requirements, and I only paid about
>> AUD$280 for mine including 2x1TB disks 2 years ago. You can probably get
>> them even cheaper these days. They were much cheaper than equivalent QNap or
>> Synology boxes at the time. I'm experimenting with BTRFS on mine at the
>> moment, which seems to work at least as well as EXT4+RAID 1 for my work
>> loads.
>>
>> Nigel
>
> Thanks! Nigel,
>
> That sound about like what I'm looking for.
>
> Amazon has the Iomega 35550 StorCenter IX2 2 bay 4TB (2x2TB) for US$333.
> This seems to be a newer model of the one you have.  Some of the reviews
> sound pretty good.  Though, there were a few reviews complaining about DOAs.

You don't want this one (ix2). This is based on the older Orion chipset and I
can't say how fast it will be.

> Are there instructions for putting Debian on it, assuming there's nothing
> about the 35550 that might cause problems?

Funny you should ask ;) I blogged about it here: Installing Debian to disk on
an ix2-200.

> They also have the Iomega 35427 StorCenter ix2-200 2 TB (2 x 1TB) for US$289.
>  Is this the model you have?

That's it. It's a pity the 6TB/4TB versions of the ix2-200 are so much more
expensive.

Regards,
Nigel