> >   - With a package manager, if any of the rootfs, /usr or /var are
> >     damaged, you need to either restore the entire set from a backup
> >     or reinstall.  This comes back to the fact that all locations
> > under the control of the package manager are a unified whole: if one
> > part breaks, the whole thing breaks; more partitions may introduce
> > more failure points.
>
> Not really, there is nothing stopping you from fixing just what is
> broken.

It may also be that restoring takes longer or you may restore just
root.

You may choose to fsck -y /usr and do an installed package md5 check in
the background with little downtime.

Alternative for root you may do an fsck and check all the errors
and inodes and restore fix or ignore as appropriate for the more
important files.

In any case a separation of important files must surely be a good
practice that I would prefer to see kept. I can see very little good
coming from amalgamation.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)