Hi Curt,

Caching and I/O scheduling give performance benefits which is why they're used
with most media. As I understand it you're wondering if it is possible to
disable write caching in Windows? The answer to that is yes.

Here's an old support article that describes how:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259716
If you do a google search you'll find it works similarly for XP.

>From Kernel 2.6 onwards udev (http://wiki.debian.org/udev) is the dynamic
>device manager.
But despite searching for a while I've not figured out how to control the rules
for mounting the devices.

However, fstab entry "sync" or "async" controls what happens:
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Sincerely,
Kailash