Thanks for your answer, Claudius!

19.05.2013 14:41, Claudius Hubig:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> ~# uname -a
>> Linux wheezy 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> ~# ls -l /boot/vm*
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2833376 May 15 23:58 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
>> ~#
>>
>> There is no date in the uname output anymore, which I could compare to
>> the kernel image file's timestamp.
>
> You are now supposed to compare the Debian package version reported
> by uname (3.2.41-2 in the example above) against the one currently
> installed (e.g. using dpkg -l).

OK, that is a way. To me, this seems to be a very awkward way, though.

> /proc/version still reports the build
> time for me, though.

Alas, for me it doesn't.

>> doesn't sound convincing to me. As an administrator, I couldn't care
>> less what source was used to build the kernel package installed.
>
> As the source package used to build the kernel uniquely identifies the
> kernel, you should only care about the source package version?

Someone seems to think I should care. They think I should care on wheezy
- but not on squid or any other Linux distribution I have to cope with.
Well, I'll continue to not care (mostly, at least)...

Anyway, it is still way beyond me how this change can be thought of as
an improvement.
I could well live with it if the oh-so-important source package version
was *added* to uname's output instead of being put in the place of the
info I really *do* care for. But as it is, someone has made a change
that gains me nothing but makes my life a tiny bit harder.

--
Regards
  mks