Just to let you know that I've now opened a bug on Debian with important
prirority. Let's see what they say...

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: Wheezy preseed overwritting interfaces file

On Sun 19 May 2013 at 12:58:59 -0700, ML mail wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I am preseeding a server so no wireless only standard ethernet. I am
> installing the bare minimum possible so the only task I preseed is the
> openssh server, then I add a few additional useful server packages such as
> lvm, ethtool, etc.
>
> Here below is the content of /e/n/i as overwritten by the installer:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

Your assumption that /e/n/i is being rewritten has a high probability of
being correct. I have experienced something similar myself and have
confirmed today (by editing /target/e/n/i just before finishing the
installation) that what you experience does happen. There have been
changes in netcfg for Wheezy and they are, in my opinion, the cause of
what you experience.

There is little you can do about it apart from reporting it as a bug
against netcfg after reading the existing bug reports. If you do decide
to do this I would say its severity is at least 'important'.