----- Original Message -----
From: Lisi Reisz
Sent: 05/20/13 04:47 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Odd Network Problem

On Monday 20 May 2013 00:15:30 george cox wrote: > I don't know why it wasn't
quoted, I'm just hitting re > ply in the email providers web interface. Not
sure what you mean by no > air. I'll see what this email looks like when I send
this one, maybe it was > just a fluke. Yes, some providers do that. And my
email to you has been rammed up all together. It is obviously a problem with
your email provider. :-( By “air” I mean gaps, as between paragraphs. I find
text all crammed up very difficult to read - indeed I had difficulty
unscrambling your reply to me in order to acknowledge it. Which email
provider's web interface is this? It seems even more than usually unfriendly.
:-( And most of them are fairly uncooperative. E.g. Gmail's habit of breaking
up threads is a pain. Lisi The provider is mail.com, which is free as is free
beer, and perhaps not a good quality beer either. The problem was that quoting
isn't done as text, when I trimmed my reply to Klaus I destroyed all of
  the quoting. I didn't see that at the time because all that does on the
screen is remove a very faint line on the side.

I think the one thing I would want to know about my original problem is in the
squeeze version of gnome's network-manager, left-clicking on its notification
area icon would, show several options one of which is "auto eth0", this seemed
to reliably attach my laptop's ethernet port to the default network of the
printer-server. I am curious what "auto eth0" does because neither the
print-server nor my laptop has a dhcp-server, and neither item was connected to
any other network. The print-server must have some magic going on in order to
bridge equipment plugged into it to the wireless network (once the wireless
part is configured at least), but the manual clearly says when the unit is
reset if it can't find a dhcp server it will use the default ip. I've checked
that neither laptop has a dhcp server installed.

The second is simply using "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.22" (the .22 I randomly
chose, the print-server defaults to using .102) worked on the laptop with
squeeze installed, but didn't with the one with wheezy.

Thanks.