On 05/22/2013 04:48 PM, Beco wrote:

Dear users,

I'm astonished by this (maybe I'm naive and I'm missing something).

Yesterday as root I saved a file skel.bashrc in my /home/beco user, owned by root, group root.

Today I edited it, logged as beco, and vi told me "warning, read only!". I edited anyway, just to test, and saved with :w!

After that I checked the file and it has changed to owner beco, group beco.

How is that possible?

Thanks,
Beco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)
I did not know about this, and it is suprising, but ...
I have frequently used another flaw in the read-only security to get a copy with write permission. I open a new document in a new window, and then use my mouse to select the whole text in the window holding the read-only original. Then I paste that text into the new, empty document.

The read-only feature of the UNIX paradigm is not a way of enforcing intellectual property rights. It is just a way of reminding oneself to be careful and not clobber something that one really needs to keep.