On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:52:29AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 23 mai 13, 22:59:00, Stephen Allen wrote:

> > > With aptitude:
> > >
> > >    http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article8/uninstall-meta-package
> >
> > Unfortunately this suggestion didn't work. I had already marked
> > Evolution packages as manually installed.
>
> I haven't read the link above, but marking Evolution as manually
> installed would not help you. Imagine the following:
>
> Package: gnome
> Depends: gnome-core,
>          evolution,
>          etc.
>
> The package 'gnome' is just a metapackage meant to pull all the others.
> If you try to uninstall evolution the package manager will have to
> uninstall the gnome metapackage as well (because the dependency is
> broken). If the other packages are marked as automatically installed it
> will want to remove them as well (not needed). What I would suggest is
> (the order matters):
>
> - mark evolution as automatically installed
> - mark any component of gnome you want to keep as manually installed
> - remove the gnome metapackage
>
> If there are no circular Depends or Recommends this should also remove
> evolution, but if it didn't you will have to do it manually.
>
> Beware, this is not tested, you might need to adjust it a bit, but the
> principle is the same. Also aptitude's visual mode is best suited for
> this. Press 'g' once and you will be presented with all proposed
> actions. Go through the list and press '+' on every package you want to
> keep.

Thanks Andre. I don't use or care for aptitude interactive -- I use it
from the command line. :) However your advice is good, and worked.
Didn't realize when I wrote the 1st email that the Gnome metapackage it
wanted to remove was/appears to be the classic version, which I don't
use. So removing it, wasn't an issue as I use Gnome-Shell.

All is well, evolution is removed and I'm a happy Debian Stable, laptop
user once again.

--
Cheers,
Stephen, Toronto