On 07/06/2013, David <bouncingc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, 'man 8 useradd' does not state this either, for the --system
> option. I saw there that useradd has exit status =9 if
> "username already in use" and feared that would apply.

Oops, I was mistakenly reading an old Fedora manpage. On wheezy,
'man 8 adduser' says:
"If a user with the same name already exists in the system uid range [...]
adduser will exit with a warning. This warning can be suppressed by
adding --quiet".

It is unclear to me if --quiet just suppresses the warning, or also the exit.

So, I still fear that is likely to upset the package install scripts. As I keep
saying, I need to test this tomorrow.