On Tuesday 18 June 2013 11:19 PM, Alan Ianson wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:16:15 -0400
amber gilchrist wrote:

I want to throw out another problem I am having in this Wheezy
upgrade: sound! I used to use ALSA with Squeeze, no problems.
After the upgrade, I am able to get sound in my browser, I can play
MP3 files, but I can't record and can't play wav: $ mpg321
radio.mp3(works fine) $ bplay radio.wavbplay: /dev/dsp: No such file
or directory$ I am not sure how to debug this one. I tried loading
the oss-compat package, and that hasn't changed things either. What
could have happened in the Squeeze->Wheezy upgrade to get rid
of /dev/dsp?

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I have to load the snd_pcm_oss
and snd_mixer_oss modules with modprobe to use mp3blaster. I'm not
familiar with bplay but maybe it needs those modules too.

Funnily enough, I was just reading up on sound in Linux. /dev/dsp is the OSS emulation provided by ALSA
http://alsa.opensrc.org/OSS_emulation

bplay's code appears to have been written in '98 so probably OSS.
Options would be to review the url above to see what else you've missed or switch to a newer player.

Best wishes,
Kailash