On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:42:56 -0700
"Bill.M" <bi...@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been using Squeeze (Lenny, Etch, Sarge, Woody etc) for some time
> and have added many individual package installs beyond the standard,
> out of the box, distros over the years.
>
> Now I'm installing onto a new machine and would like to migrate as
> much of my old system onto the new machine as I can. What I mean here
> is that I'd like to be able to install the Wheezy version of most of
> those additional packages on the new system in addition to an out of
> the box fresh install of Wheezy. 80 or 90 percent would be excellent.
>
> I'm thinking that what I need to generate is a diff list of packages
> installed on my current Squeeze that aren't in the standard Squeeze
> and then feed that into apt on Wheezy. But how to do that? How to
> generate the Squeeze list? I haven't located any advice.
>
> Any thoughts? Is this even possible?

I wouldn't have thought so. I would tackle this by cloning your
squeeze, as far as possible, to the new box and then upgrading. At
least some of the issues between versions are dealt with in the
upgrade, whereas they wouldn't be any other way. A new installation
will differ significantly from an upgraded version, because of the 'if
I was going there, sure I wouldn't be starting from here' effect.

If you're going up in hardware bit numbers, I found the easiest way to
move an installation was using dpgk --get-selections. The 32-64 bit
issues get in the way if you try something more direct.

There will be lots of messy details. Good luck.

--
Joe