On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 14:43 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> [...]

There is also the possibility to do the same as Blizzard with its
updater. They use bittorrent, but as a 'fallback' they use http, there
is also a thing called 'http seeding' or 'web seeding' [1], not sure if
they use that or some other solution to offer the http download.

This means users that have their connections throttled when using
bittorrent can still get full speed over http. Imagine all mirrors being
part of the same swarm and most/all of them have a tracker (registered
with Debian so they are available transparently to the user), they have
less strain as a lot of bandwidth can be provided by others and users
are still certain of fast downloads (some faster than before if their
pipe allows it).

This is still a benefit even if people don't seed to the 1:1 ratio, but
just while they are downloading.
Downside is the added overhead of course, a 100 KB package on it's own
will not benefit from this (think a security update in some random small
package), but upgrades between versions (6.0 to 7.x or 7.0 to 7.1) might
benefit greatly.

I thinks it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's an
improvement when considering the complete picture.
I think delta's might be a better idea in the shorter term. Some other
distributions already do this.

Regards,
Steven

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent#Web_seeding