On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 22:48 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> John W. Foster wrote:
> > I recently did a dist upgrade of my system to Wheezy. I have had a
> > number of seriuos issues with this upgrade but the one that has me
> > stumped is Apache2. I finally ended up removing it and all of the mods &
> > associated apps. Yep it pretty well screwed the entire system. I now
> > have rescued the installation except for Apache2.
>
> I am sorry to hear that you had such problems.  The biggest problems I
> have had with upgrades have been when lint from older releases were
> not cleaned up before attempting to upgrade.
>
> > I have seen that it installed into a new directory as I removed
> > every vestige of the old installation.
>
> Good.
>
> > I saved the config files in a archive of the old setup
> > just in case.
>
> Good.
>
> > What I see is that the new install does NOT put ANY configs into the
> > /etc/apache2 directory and the installation doesent seem to know
> > that it has failed.
>
> That doesn't make sense.  Files in /etc/apache2 are owned by the
> apache2.2-common package.  You can verify this by using dpkg to list
> the files.
>
>   dpkg -L apache2.2-common
>   dpkg -L apache2.2-common | grep /etc/apache2/
>
> Double check that you are installing bits from Wheezy 7 on your system
> and not from Unstable.  In Unstable there is a large Apache transition
> happening and things are not in a completely happy state there yet.
> But that is a known and coordinated transition in Unstable.  Wheezy 7
> is Stable and should be working just fine.
>
> > Apache does not work and though I've tried to manually install the
> > old configs, it still doesnt work. Does anyone know of any line
> > command dpkg. or apt that will cause a completely new installation
> > to overwrite the current installation, and maybe fix this?
>
> I simply 'apt-get install apache2' and everything works fine.  I just
> tested this again just now to verify.  For any more complicated site
> there will be other choices such as for PHP and for a database and so
> forth.  But at the simple end of things simply installing 'apache2' is
> sufficient.  If you have a small memory machine then apache needs to
> have the config tweaked or it won't have enough memory.
>
> Please show the output of:
>
>   apt-cache policy apache2 apache2.2-common
>
> Wheezy 7 should show version 2.2.22-13 at this moment.  I suspect that
> you will show something different there.
>
> Also if you are installing any related packages such as selecting a
> model such as apache2-mpm-prefork or apache2-mpm-worker or whatever
> please fill in the missing details so that we can recreate your
> example in a test case.
>
> Bob

Well I ended up using the nuclear alternative. I removed every vestige,
and I mean I grepped the entire system for anything with apache in it. I
removed all of them and stripped out anything that required apache along
with all the configs. I reinstalled everything and all works fine for
now. Thanks for the tips all.