On 06/28/2013 03:01 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2013-06-28 21:24 +0200, Joseph Lenox wrote:

On 2013-06-28 17:39 +0200, Joseph Lenox wrote:

Noticed that "termcap-compat" is referenced in one of the FAQ
questions on the website
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/debian-faq.en.txt,
4.7). The package does not exist on Wheezy, nor apparently (according
to the package history) since 2005. I'm unsure whether to file this as
a bug against the FAQ or the fact that the package is missing.
The former, I dare say.
Bugreport has been filed against debian-faq.
If I have a program to which I do not have the source (commercial EDA
tool) and it requires libtermcap.so.2,
Ugh.  How old is that program?

2011. It's VCS-MX from Synopsys. Their newest version of the software
still uses it. I'll file a bug report against that software.

My "first" problem is that it assumes either RHEL or SUSE. Their shell
scripts link to /bin/sh, but assume that /bin/sh -> /bin/bash (this is
replicated across pretty much everything (specifically, using /bin/sh
-h
everywhere), prompting a dpkg-reconfigure to use bash instead of
dash), use the host compiler (and pass it arguments like
-melf_i386). I've filed bug reports, but I doubt anything will be done
about it.
You can also use the switchsh command from the package of the same name
to temporarily bind-mount /bin/bash as /bin/sh.

Their IC Compiler uses a local install of gcc-4.2.2 to compile SystemC
and is coded to only accept that version. I had to recompile gcc from
source with a patch to make it pay attention to the Debian method of
doing x64 libs.
how do I satisfy this program the Debian Way?
You can get termcap-compat from archive.debian.net[1], but note that the
termcap library in it is linked against libc5 rather than libc6.  If
that is not what you need, various RPM-based distributions still ship
libtermcap[2], and you can convert an rpm package into a Debian package
with alien(1).
A solution that Works For Me (tm) is to symlink
/lib/$ARCH/libtermcap.so.2 -> /lib/$ARCH/libncurses.so.5
This works because ncurses uses termcap's ABI.
Really?  And in that case you would better use libtinfo.so.5 instead of
libncurses.so.5.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll do that instead (as it too "Works For Me (tm)"). The RPM->Alien approach did not work (at least using the newest one I could find from OpenSUSE) because theirs was compiled against GLIBC_2.14.
Guess it's time to report another wishlist bug.
I'd rather not open a can of worms to try and support software which
uses a library that was deprecated some 15 years ago.
I filed a support request to Synopsys, who knows if anyone will ever see it.

--
--Joseph Lenox, BS, MS
I'm an engineer. I solve problems.