On 06/30/2013 10:40 AM, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Jape Person <jap...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Forgive the facetious thread title, please. I just about got knocked out of
>> my
>> socks this morning when I ran my daily upgrade checks in aptitude.
>>
>> I run Debian testing with Xfce, and I'd like to keep it that way.
>
> Me, too.
>
>> About a year ago I switched out Wicd for network-manager-gnome so that I
>> could
>> make use of the latter package's ability to control VPN connections. I guess
>> that's the root cause of this little adventure. (However, IIRC, Xfce has
>> started
>> using network-manager-gnome instead of Wicd anyway.)
>>
>> This morning the usual upgrades included a gnome-bluetooth updgrade that
>> wanted
>> to pull in what appeared to be just about everything from the Gnome DE --
>> roughly 117 packages. The gnome-bluetooth package was apparently on the
>> system
>> because the network manager wants it there.
>>
>> This was easy enough to prevent. I just held everything while I got rid of
>> gnome-bluetooth and its playmates, then put a forbid on gnome-bluetooth. The
>> ensuing upgrade attempt was a lot more reasonable.
>>
>> I don't suppose this really qualifies as a bug -- particularly since
>> network-manager-gnome really is a part of the Gnome DE. But I imagine a few
>> folks who use it in other DEs are going to be a little consternated by
>> today's
>> upgrades if they don't pay fairly close attention before committing to them.
>>
>> Thanks for reading my tale of woe (whoa?).
>
> I think this happened because gnome-bluetooth recommends
> gnome-control-center which in its turn depends on a bunch of stuff I
> don't need (and most of which is not on my system) and recommends a
> bunch more unnecessary stuff. The way I avoid what you saw this
> morning is to tell aptitude NOT to install by default packages
> recommended by other packages. That seems to prevent a lot of
> unnecessary installations. So I recommend setting that option in
> aptitude! You always have the option, after scanning what's
> recommended, to install what you want.
>
> Patrick

That's a good point. Back when I decided to use Debian testing I decided to
stick with the default aptitude setting, which -- as you have indicated -- may
not be a great idea for those of us who prefer to keep things a little simpler.
It does seem as though some of the recommends are a little excessive and
certainly shouldn't be treated as though they were hard dependencies.

I'm not sure which will result in me doing less fiddling around in aptitude --
not having recommends set to be installed by default and adding them manually as
desired, or having aptitude set to install them by default and keeping a
watchful eye. It's really pretty easy to spot 117 new installations with the
aptitude TUI. But I often see smaller lists of new installations being brought
in and might end up installing stuff I don't need if I'm not on my toes.

I think I'll take your advice. This (no recommends) is the way I used to use
aptitude.

And you are exactly right about gnome-panel. The gnome-bluetooth package itself
didn't require addition of all of the dross, but it's request for gnome-panel is
what caused the landslide of recommended installations.

J.