On 07/04/2013 03:00 AM, Richard Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:18:54PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
>> Icedove/Thunderbird has the Enigmail extension to handle encryption.
>> You might want to give that a try as well, particularly since you are
>> trying to encourage others to use encryption and Thunderbird is available
>> for both Linux and Windows (and Mac?).
>
> Yes, I used to use Thunderbird/Enigmail, and it is what I recommend to
> non-technical people, though I haven't used it recently myself (I
> don't much like GUI mail clients).  Does Thunderbird/Enigmail have a
> way to search through encrypted mail?  I don't remember this being
> available last time I used it.
[snip]

Searching like that is a sorely needed function.  It is unfortunately
missing.  I guess the way to go about it would be to have one index per
key and to use the key to encrypt the index.

The need has been out there for a long time.  See  points 29 - 33 from 2001:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=TA&reference=P5-TA-2001-0441&format=XML&language=EN

Regards,
/Lars