Hello,
I've been too nervous to reboot, so I've left it in the rescue mode at the
point where I assembled the raid arrays and went into boot at the \
partition.
Tried to run:
  mdadm --stop /dev/md127
but got a mdadm: failed to stop array /dev/md127: Device or resource busy.
Perhaps a running process, mounted filesustem or active volume group?

I tried unmounting /home which stretches onto this disk via LVM, but this
made no difference. Any idea how I should proceed?
Thanks,
James