Hi

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 06:25:24AM +0100, John Tate wrote:
> An update for steam has come out and now I can't run my favourite game TF2.
>
> /bin/sh: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not
> found (required by
> /home/john/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so)
>
> It's because it is written for Ubuntu basically, I figure testing
> would have this. Is there a way to have the newer libc on wheezy?
> Otherwise I might have to upgrade to testing.

Well... Upgrading to testing may be a little severe. At the very
least, a libc upgrade is a "big thing" when it comes to upgrades: It
affects loads of packages and thus introduces some risk...

Also, testing is "testing" for a reason: it is usually newer than
stable, but also less stable. Buyer beware. I suspect it will be fine,
as wheezy has just been released, and thus "testing" does not diverge
too far from "wheezy" yet. But that's a constantly changing picture.

I see two other possible ways forward here that might appeal to you:

* Recompile Steam locally - this should end up using your current libc
  version. Lots of fun with getting dependencies needed for
  compilation. And I'm not even sure the source for steam is available
  to start with.

* Download the *.deb for your desired libc, extract it somewhere
  (without installing), and stash the library away in a non-standard
  directory, set LD_LIBARY_PATH to point to that directory before
  launching steam.  (or use LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/new/libc). Beware of
  libc's own dependencies.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen