On Wed 17 Jul 2013 at 18:12:49 -0400, sar0...@nc.rr.com wrote:

> Thanks for the response (and sorry about replying to your email address
> rather than the list)

Not a problem. I read the list and reply through it and never get to see
mails sent directly to me via that address. Which does not mean it is not
possible to contact me if there is a desparate need to - like giving me
money. :)

> Allegedly the install can hang if the ISO does not 'match" the way
> the kernel/initrd was compiled.  Probably risky, as I have not stumbled
> across a report claiming someone else has done it..

If you are going to install Lenny then the kernel, initrd and ISO *have*
to come from that distribution.

> Thanks again.  Sounds like I am diving down an appropriate rabbit hole!

Your BIOS will not boot from USB but I imagine you have a floppy drive
which can be booted from. It may be worth your while visiting

   http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html