On Saturday 10 August 2013 18:08:53 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 06:56:56PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > <Nothing to do with subject>
> >
> > Could you please provide a meaningful subject relating to your post.
>
> This is the second try replying to your post.  The first one failed to
> send. Don't know why.
>
> I did.  The original subject was "Oops! Dpkg SNAFU," but when I posted
> it only "Oops!" showed up.  Don't know why.

Changing subject as suggested by Chris, and reposting original question.

Finally got around to installing Pulseaudio-Equalizer on my 64-bit
Wheezy, which by the way is NOT in the Wheezy repos or backports.
However, was able to find a tar.gz file of it from the developer's site,
IIRC. It's been months since I downloaded it.  I've been busy. ;-)

In any case, here's the "problem:"  the equalizer needs
multimedia-volume-control.svg.  A search turned up it was part of
the gnome-control-center-data package.  Not having Gnome on this
system, just a window manager--Openbox--installing the package would
have resulted in Gnome being install, too.  More or less.  So I just did
as root in /root a 'dpkg --download,' and then an '--unpack' thinking
that would uncompress the .deb file in /root from which I would get the
single svg file I needed, and then just delete everything else.  Simple.
Right?  Wrong. Now, I'm stuck with about 4.5 megs of Gnome data, icons,
and config files scattered all over the system that I want to get rid
of before they cause any problems, if any.

My plan is to copy the file I need to someplace safe, then 'dpkg
--purge' the original package to clean the system of it, and copy the
file back to where it needs to be.  Sound okay?  Any expected gotchas?
Any better alternatives?

Thanks.