Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> 2 not fully installed or removed.

Those two are problems that need to be fixed.

> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up mysql-server-5.5 (5.5.31+dfsg-0+wheezy1) ...

> [?1049h[?25l(B

And people wonder why I don't like the happy colors in the interface! :-)
Let me clean that up a little bit for the archive.

> Package configuration
> Configuring mysql-server-5.5
> While not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you set a password for the
> MySQL administrative "root" user.
> If this field is left blank, the password will not be changed.
> New password for the MySQL "root" user:
> <Ok>
> [....] Stopping MySQL database server: ok
> [....] Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . .y .FAIL
> failed!
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5 (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
>  mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.5; however:
>   Package mysql-server-5.5 is not configured yet.

Failure reported.  The package is not configured yet.  It is not ready
for use.  It is broken.  It won't work right until it is fixed.
Something went wrong.  It reported the error.  These errors cannot be
ignored and just hoping for the best sometime later.

> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  mysql-server-5.5
>  mysql-server

As to what the problem is, I do not know.  I have personally often had
problems with mysql upgrades.  But I always had a full database
backup.  Therefore it when things have not worked it was always very
easy to purge all of the packages and then re-install them and then
restore from backup.  But if you don't have a backup then purging the
data would be a very bad thing.

Does anyone else on the list have any suggestions at this point?

If there are no other better ideas I would save off a copy of the
/var/lib/mysql directory as backup.

  cp -a /var/lib/mysql /var/backups/mysql.$(date +%F)

Then I would purge mysql-server-5.5 to clean up this package
installation mess.

  # apt-get purge mysql-server-5.5

I just tested this on my system and it did not actually remove the
/var/lib/mysql directories.  Which is good and what we want even if it
does not comply with policy.  It is the safer behavior.  But make sure
you have a backup anyway.  Then after it has been removed verify that
it is removed.

  # dpkg -l mysql-server-5.5
  dpkg-query: no packages found matching mysql-server-5.5

Then install it again.

  # apt-get install mysql-server
  ...press enter to each of the three questions about changing the
  mysql root access password...this will preserve the previous
  password that you set before without changing it...

Of course if you should have a database password set.  This will
preserve it to the previous value.  If you didn't previously set one
then recover first and then change it later.

I believe that a clean installation should fix your installation
problem and return things to a sane state.

  # dpkg -l mysql-server-5.5
  ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
  +++-==============-============-============-=================================
  ii  mysql-server-5 5.5.31+dfsg- amd64        MySQL database server binaries an

If they do not then report what problem is being reported.  Your
system seems pretty messed up so I wouldn't be surprised if you have
yet another problem below this one.

After getting this fixed with mysql you can clean up the old mysql
backup.  And set up regular future backups.  I always have this
following on my systems.

File /etc/cron.d/local-mysql:
  30 3 * * *       root umask 077 ; mysqldump
--defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf --all-databases --events | gzip >
/var/backups/mysql.dump ; savelog -q -d -l -C /var/backups/mysql.dump

That will result in these following files being compressed sql dumps
which I then simply back up normally.  YMMV.

  $ ls -l /var/backups/
  -rw------- 1 root root    140177 Aug  2 03:30 mysql.dump.20130802033001
  -rw------- 1 root root    140177 Aug  3 03:30 mysql.dump.20130803033002
  -rw------- 1 root root    140177 Aug  4 03:30 mysql.dump.20130804033002