On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:17:11 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Mark Copper wrote:

>>> I think I do, but why is it necessary? I thought it was only for
>>> dynamic changes. and this server never needs them.
>>
>> "iface ..." defines the interface and "allow-hotplug ..." allows
>> udev to hotplug it. Without "iface ...", "allow-hotplug ..." is of
>> no use. You must have meant to have "allow-hotplug eth0:1", not
>> "allow-hotplug eth0:0".
>
> Right. allow-hotplug is for udev. auto is for static boot. The
> presence of "auto" should work at boot time since eth0:1 was listed in
> the first auto line.

I wasn't clear. The "allow-hotplug eth0:0" line's of no use without an "iface eth0:0 ..." line.

>>> strange, but it's in the wiki.
>>
>> I'm sorry. I've just looked at the wiki and I didn't know that there
>> was a new (?) iproute configuration style.
>
> I think that is a new ifupdown configuration style. It was ifupdown
> that changed. AFAIK iproute is the same.
>
>   s/iproute/ifupdown/
>
> For reference see:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=717878
>
> And:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=717887

No time for the references right now but thanks. I'll check them out some time between now and Sunday... :)

I _AGAIN_ wasn't clear; sorry.

I meant that now that ifupdown is using iproute's "ip" rather than net-tools' "ifconfig" and "route", it can now assign more than one ip address to a nic without appending ":X" to the nic's name.