On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
郭靖 <rush....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was going to install Debian on my MBP(i.e. Macbook Pro), but I
> didn't know what to choose - Due to the existance of Mac OSX, I
> didn't want to install X on my machine, I just want to learn Linux
> and/or Debian. However, setting my Mac as a server is not necessary,
> so I just get confused.

Preferably begin from the netinstall image,

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

then when you are offered the various computer roles, mail server, web
server etc., do not mark anything. You will then be given a very minimal
system, and will need to use apt-get or aptitude to add the software
you want.

If you are new to Linux, you might want to run a Live CD of Debian or
one of its derivatives. Synaptic is a GUI package tool which I find
easier to use than aptitude when searching for software. It does the
same thing functionally, but I find the aptitude display less clear
and intuitive than I would like. You should be able to get a good idea
of what packages you will need, if necessary using the Net for further
information, then return to your minimal system to install them.

My recommendation for the first additional package to a text system
would be mc, which is a text-based 'graphical' file manager and simple
text editor. My server runs text-only Debian, I use mc for nearly all
admin tasks, and I use it quite a lot on my very graphical workstation.

Another possibility that may work for you is to install to an external
USB hard drive, if your Mac allows that. You can then use what you like
with no effect on a computer's host operating system, and if you choose
a 32-bit install with a kernel *not* optimised for the hardware, then it
will boot on many machines. I have a pocket-sized 160GB drive which is
kept pretty much the same as my main workstation, with synchronised
data, which will boot on my large laptop and my netbook, and on nearly
all other modern x86-derived computers I have found.

> BTW, what's the level of C knowledge would help me develop Linux
> Kernel?

Sorry, cannot help there. The source code for the kernel is easily
available, have a look and see if you are intimidated....

--
Joe