On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:19:40PM -0300, Luther Blissett wrote:
> My initial guess was that it should be possible to extend this
> encryption scheme to the new hard disk using standard lvm tools and the
> unencrypted "open" disk as physical volume to the already existing
> volume group. However, after some research the nearest I got was someone
> who added the disk while creating a new volume group:
>
> http://earlruby.org/2010/02/adding-an-external-encrypted-drive-with-lvm-to-ubuntu-linux/comment-page-1/
>
> and this arch wiki saying I should better have the reverse: luks on lvm.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Encrypted_LVM#Spanned.2FMultiple_Disks
>
> But it does not state it is impossible, it just says that it requires
> modifying the "encrypted hook". Also, it's clear that once this is done,

Yes, you could do what you're after if you had luks on lvm. If there
is a way for luks to span multiple disks, I'm not aware of it. The
best suggestion I can think of is to simply set the new drive up as a
physical volume, and put new volume groups on it. You can mount
volumes from the second drive to wherever you need more space in the
original drive. If that's not possible, you should be able to move
logical volumes from the first drive to the second drive to make room
on the first drive.

> if one disk fails, the system will be unbootable.

Another reason to just put a new volume group or groups on the new
drive instead of extending the existing group or groups if that is possible.

> So my question is: have anyone here ever done that? How to I tell init
> to unlock both disks before mapping lvm?

If you're asking how to decrypt a luks volume in place, I know of such
a way. If you're asking how encrypted volumes are opened during boot,
have a look at the crypttab(5) man page.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc