Charles Kroeger wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> > 1. Disable NM with
> >       update-rc.d network-manager disable
>
> What does this mean:
>
> charles# update-rc.d network-manager disable
>
> insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script
> `network-manager'
> overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
>
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2
> 3 4 5 6) of script `network-manager' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).

It pretty means exactly what it says.  You have told it to disable the
init script but the init script LSB header in the script says that it
should be enabled in those run levels.  Look at the top of the script
to see what the script defines.

  less /etc/init.d/network-manager

These warnings are produced whenever the current configuration is
different from what is defined in the LSB header.  Since you are
manually disabling it then I would ignore the message.

As to your original: I usually purge network-manager and install
wicd.  I think in your previous case wicd didn't start and couldn't
run because network-manager was still running and had the interfaces
busy.

Bob