On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Alan Greenberger <ala...@ptd.net> wrote:

> On 2013-09-10, Ross Boylan <rossboy...@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > --001a11c2be66bf88eb04e60200cd
> >
> > Short version: Brother doesn't support linux.  I'm considering Lexmark.
> >
> > I too am looking for a  B+W laser printer.  I just got a Brother HL 5450
> > replace a 5150 I had.  It fails to print some pages, and I'm sending it
> > back because Brother says they do not  provide phone support for Linux.
> > They used to have an email address for linux, but a query there produced
> no
> > answer.  It's supposed to be postscript compatible; since there are
> issues
> > I wonder if that's in software rather than hardware.
> >

> I have an HL5450 running well under Squeeze amd64.  Perhaps you haven't
> jumped through all the installation hoops:

I definitely have not.  I wasn't wild about having only 32 bit drivers and,
since the printer claims to provide postscript compatibility, it didn't
seem to me that should be necessary.

I guess maybe some of the postscript support is in the software, not the
hardware.  It seemed to have trouble with graphics (it would spit out a
page with a few lines of postscript code and then many blank pages), though
plain text documents often worked.

At any rate, I don't really want a  printer for which the manufacturer will
not provide phone support.  So I sent it back, and let Brother know why I
was doing that with the pithy "no support = no sale".
Ross