On 10/07/2013 10:02 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2013-10-07, Curt<cu...@free.fr>  wrote:

With the wheezy netinstaller you simply choose 'Advanced Options' on
the
first page you're presented with, then 'Alternative desktop
environments," then 'Xfce.' No Gnome.

With this version of the netinstaller at least that's the way it's
done:

debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso

The problem is that what you describe does not work as expected,
according to the OP.

I followed the procedure described above, installing to a usb key, and when
I booted the usb key I was in the desktop environment of my choice and not in
Gnome.

But I can't remember whether I chose Xfce or LXDE (but he said for the
both of them he ended up in Gnome).

So what I described worked as expected for me (I think--I didn't check to see
whether all of Gnome got installed somehow behind my back).

Anyhoo, the plot sickens.

Actually, rereading his post, I don't see him saying he followed the
procedure I followed anywhere; rather he says he installed testing
without a DE, then tried to install a lightweight desktop with aptitude,
so this is something of time-waster, isn't it?

apt-get --no-install-recommends

No?

Hi,

Just to be sure you don't misunderstand me -- I did use the alternative desktop choices in the installer, and the expert installation procedure. I tried allowing installation of both the lxde and xfce desktops on different installs. In both cases, I would up with a default login to the gnome desktop.

I then tried installing without a DE. Any attempt to install task-xfce-desktop was going to bring gnome onto the system.

Installing only the xfce package plus lightdm plus xfce-goodies turned out to be the way to go. But trying to install network-manager-gnome, again, brings in the whole gnome DE unless you don't install recommends. The only reason I wanted these folks to have network-manager-gnome is that it's currently the only easy way for regular end users to use and configure a variety of VPN software. I also didn't want to wind up with a bunch of manual package installs that would hang around if they decided to drop network-manager for something like Wicd (which, unfortunately, does not yet support VPN connections from its GUI).

These folks are sophisticated enough to want to use VPN connections when they're connecting to public wireless locations. They just don't know enough about package management to sort this sort of thing out for themselves. I wanted to leave them with systems they could reconfigure easily for themselves.

What "wes" is suggesting is that I might have missed the possibility that Xfce was still being offered, just not as the default Xsession. I don't think that's what happened in this case, but I had already messed with the installations from TTY1 before logging in from the lightdm prompt. So, it's possible that I did something to cause Xfce to be missing from the dropdown selection.

It's possible -- We had baskets of wine. Our wives (the responsible ones) weren't watching us carefully, and we had worked out way down to the cooking sherry in the kitchen by the time the installations had begun. (This was not a serious undertaking. It was some buddies setting up some spare Debian boxes for two of the families to experiment with, so we weren't taking notes.)

The bug report clearly states that Xfce is still available after an installation, but that Gnome comes up as the default choice. That -- with the possible exception of the availability of Xfce -- is certainly what I saw. I also saw exactly the same behavior with an attempted LXDE installation.

You installed the OS to a key. I can't imagine why, but maybe d-i behaves a bit differently in this respect when installing to a key???