On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 11:21 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I want to know if there is a way to use reinstall with some command to
> overwrite all the existing configs using the dist configs. I want a
> complete new installation with no modifications. I have tried this but
> so far apt uses the existing configs. I end up with a non working
> server. I had this same issue with apache and evolution. Seem like I
> should be able to specify this at setup.
> Thanks
> john

--------------------------------
I suppose I should have asked a more precise question. Thanks to all of
you that offered suggestions;
I think the real issue with what I need to do is that I do indeed want
to know if there is a "debian" way to completely purge all files
installed by an application. Currently for example evolution 'hides' its
dot files somewhere other that a simple .evolution. I wanted to try to
get it reinstalled with a completely clean setup & no way to do so. I
stripped every reference to evolution from the entire file system,
purged the application as you suggested in your references, and
reinstalled it. Well guess what, all the old stuff was still there and
it still doesn't work properly. FWIW: all these issues were generated
when I upgraded from squeeze to wheezy & the system is wonky on several
fronts. I did a NEW installation of wheezy on another system & it has
none of these issues. As soon as I get my server moved to a remote site,
I'm gonna flatten the drive & start over with a new installation.
Thanks for the assist, anyway.
John