Darac,

It is a "normal" ext2 file system. A single IDE drive in an old Dell
workstation (Optiplex GX260). It has been running for many years with
successive kernels.

Before I screw things up any more, is this what you are recommending that I
run from recovery mode?

#dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.32-5-686

Thanks,

Mark