If you have your original debian net-inst dvd, it's probably time to
put the dvd into the drive then reboot the computer into rescue mode.
Then run fsck.ext4 -c /dev/sda1 <enter> and watch the fun.  This will
use badblocks nondestructively and set off a repair operation which
should end up with you having all of your data recovered.  Figure you
have a bad hard drive on its last legs and backup what you can for a
later and better install on a new hard drive would be what I would do in
your situation.  Once the drive is alive again, you may want to install
and run smartd-utils on it and check those log files since they'll
provide warnings.  If you can get smartd-utils to e-mail you so much the
better.