Thanks to Jonathan and Greg, and others, it seems that the cause for the problem was found.
See below.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:33:22 +0000
From: Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:33:46PM +0200, Itay wrote:
I tried several times, including re-issuing 'exim4 -qff'.
It hangs and I have to kill it.
The output is appended below.

OK I wouldn't worry about the hanging from this output. I suspect it's
just the SMTP client and/or server keeping the connection open in case
a subsequent MAIL FROM was on the way. However

Finally -- I don't know if it is significant -- but I note in the
output below, for example 3 lines from the bottom, that the address
'r...@fastmail.fm' appears.

That's definitely wrong. I wonder if your aliases file is to blame.
Quoting your first message

2. Put a line in /etc/aliases
'root: root,myem...@fastmail.fm'

Is this not a circular definition?

I think not. 'root' on the right-hand side is considered a local address with domain stripped. I saw this example somewhere on the net, I can look for the reference. Anyway it works! (The purpose is to leave a copy of messages also in the local mailbox of root.)

$ man 5 etc-aliases

/etc/aliases
       is a table providing a mechanism to redirect mail for local
        recipients. /etc/aliases is a text file which is roughly compatible
        with Sendmail. The file should contain lins of the form
       name: address, address, ...

        The  name  is a local address without domain part.
[End quote]

Personally I would try to achieve what you are doing with a
/root/.procmailrc file containing

  :0c
  !myem...@fastmail.fm

  :0
  /var/mail/root

Just to make sure I understand: procmail is not complementary to exim4 for my specific task, but a drop-in replacement; right?

Do you have an /etc/mailname?

This was it!
As Greg pointed out, too.
The file stored 'fastmail.fm'.
I changed it to 'machine.homenetwork' and voila!
Message was delivered: one copy to local root mail box, and one to my public address.

Many-many thanks!
Itay