Excellent. Thanks, Andrei,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Ma, 19 nov 13, 17:28:27, Brad Alexander wrote:
> > Sorry. Replied privately instead of to the list...
>
> And I'll elaborate on my short reply as promised.
>
> > Way back in the mists of time, around the time of the squeeze release, I
> > asked here and it was recommended to use apt rather than aptitude...
> >
> > I'm guessing the best practice has changed...?
>
> Each has its strengths and weaknesses and I use both:
>
> - on my sid laptop I have an aptitude in interactive mode open all the
>   time, to keep the system updated (almost daily), to look up package
>   information, to check out new packages, to remove obsolete ones and
>   other general maintenance of the system

I've tried the interactive mode, but it reminds me too much of dselect. :)
I started using Debian around 1999 (slink?), and it was pre- or early-days
of apt. I could never get through the install, because I had a mental block
against dselect. Try as I might, I can't get past the resemblance of
aptitude's interactive mode.

> - for a quick search by name or description I use 'apt-cache search',
>   because it's faster

I use apt-cache and apt-file together on both my workstation and laptop.

> - for complex searches (and possibly actions on the set of packages a
>   search would return) aptitude is better
> - for maintenance of stable systems I prefer apt-get (update && upgrade
>   && dist-upgrade) because it's fast and simple.

Agreed. this is the only way I upgrade. I run a sid desktop and a sid
laptop. However, I don't upgrade nearly as often. I run apticron to keep an
eye on critical packages, either function or urgency.

> - for quickly installing a package I prefer apt-get (faster) except for
>   my sid system where aptitude is already open
> - etc.
>
> Recently aptitude's dependency resolver also couldn't come up with
> reasonable solutions for some transitions in sid, so I used apt-get
> instead.

I have seen this too. I'm not a fan of the dependency resolution in
aptitude. Generally, it gives me a number of non-optimal solutions. I'm not
sure what logic gets used, but I have seen cases where it wants to
uninstall major portions of the system because a package needs to be
upgraded.

>  For a dist-upgrade you should use whatever is advised in the Release
> Notes for that release, regardless of your usual preferences.

Actually, nowadays, I end up having to dist-upgrade to get new kernels,
etc. Which kind of defeats the *dist* part of dist-upgade.

Regards,
--b