On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 12:23:59AM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> ???
> /etc/fetchmailrc is owned by fetchmail:root, 0600.  Anyone who can read
> that file has root permissions and can just as easily read any
> .fetchmailrc that they want to.

Yes, they can.  But that still doesn't mean that I want to have to share
*my* mail passwords with someone else, or want to have to keep someone ELSE
in sync with *my* mail passwords.

What am I, as the user, supposed to do?  Send a mail to root saying "oh, my
mail password at random.site has changed"?

Who reads that mail?  Who has access to it?  Does it get printed out and
left on a desk somewhere, or in someone's inbox on a random desk?

No, if someone wants to know my details, they can come into my $HOME and
get them.

Come up with a secure mechanism whereby that information can be shared with
a single administrator responsible for administering /etc/fetchmailrc and
then perhaps we'll talk.

--
 Marc Wilson |     There are only two kinds of men -- the dead and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] |     the deadly.  -- Helen Rowland