On 19/12/13 05:32 PM, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
Frank McCormick, 19.12.2013:
On 19/12/13 10:25 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 19/12/13 01:32 AM, Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 01:09:03 -0500 Frank McCormick sent:

It appears it is supported - I have the ralink-firmware installed, but
when Debian (sid) boots it tries dhcpdiscover 255.255.255.255  about
10 times then gives up after getting no reply.

root@frank-debian:/home/frank# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:on

This is from syslog

Dec 19 10:17:37 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
Dec 19 10:17:44 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Dec 19 10:17:52 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
database - sleeping.

   Solved my problem. +1 for wicd in the Debian repositories...-10
for gnome-nettool :)

If you are having wireless setup problems, it's the tool to goto.

FWIW, I have a cheap usb wireless adabter with the same identifier
listed in your lsusb (ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370
Wireless Adapter) and it's been working fine with Network Manager in
Gnome (in fallback mode) in wheezy.  Haven't needed wicd, or anything
else for that matter, to get it working.  (The performance isn't too
great but that's probably due to the driver and/or hardware.)

  Well try as I might..I could not get the darned thing to operate.
It was setup properly but I couldn't use it. As I said wicd solved
the problem for me in Debian. On the other hand, I just booted into Fedora 19 and it recognized the device, set it up..called dhcp and it was ready and waiting when I reached the desktop. Weird or what.

Anyway, it's good that you solved your problem, whichever way was handy.

  Any port in a storm :)

--
Your mail is being read by tight-lipped
NSA agents who fail to see the humor in Doctor