On 2013-12-21 20:53 +0100, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I am having trouble copying text from an xterm window into another
> application,
> such as iceweasel, and vice versa.  When I was using GNOME, this worked fine
> between gnome-terminal and other applications.

How exactly did you copy the text?

> But I'm using XFCE now, and
> xterm seems to be the default terminal emulator application under XFCE.

Nothing stops you from using gnome-terminal under XFCE, I supposeā€¦

> Before you tell me that "Google is my friend", or some other trite brush-off
> saying, let me tell you that I have done my homework on this.  I have searched
> the internet.  I have learned about the difference between the PRIMARY buffer
> and the CLIPBOARD buffer, I have learned about settings to put in .Xdefaults,
> etc.  But none of the techniques I have found work for me.  I use a
> traditional
> PS/2 mouse.  It has two, and only two, mouse buttons.  It has no thumbwheel.
>
> Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work in a Debian XFCE environment?

I don't use XFCE, but I have set xterm's selectToClipboard resource to
true, meaning that text you select in xterm can be pasted into other
applications with Ctrl-V, and Shift-Ins pastes text from the clipboard
into xterm.

Cheers,
       Sven