Moin Wilko!
Wilko Fokken schrieb am Sunday, den 26. October 2003:

> The same is true for me;
> under "woody", 'debconf' didn't get me anywhere. I guess one has to be
> rich enough to keep up with recently sold mainstream computers. My old
> AMD 133 MHz with a 1 MHz Tseng ET4000 required some manual surgery to
> get my configurations right. (Works nicely now with 'icewm-gnome'.)
>
> This is not to blame any Debian developer: I am just experiencing what
> it means to add some adaequate instructions to my little anti-spam mail

Ehm, you realize that your case is somehow constructed? ET4000 is about
10 years old, it is at least 3-4 mainstream generations far away from
the current mainstream cards. Further, you don't need X on a mail
gateway.

> btw.
> Does anybody know how to get a "100x40" or "100x37" textmode with a NOT
> SVGA-compatible graphic card, I mean a replacement for 'SVGATextMode' ?

What is "SVGA-compatible" from driver's point of view? If your card is
not supported by any of the SVGATextMode drivers, the only choice you
have is VESA framebuffer. Which, again, requires a VESA2.0 compliant
video card and I not sure whether ET4000 was a such one.

MfG,
Eduard.