Hi,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 04:05:55PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> > Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > Most display managers don't source ~/.profile (or /etc/profile). I tried
> > > to discuss this with developers, but there was hardly any interest so I
> > > settled for sourcing them in ~/.xsessionrc instead (which is sourced by
> > > the X startup scripts):

Though I have different idea what it should be... inconsistency is the
major problem.

> It has always annoyed me that logging in with the graphical login
> managers *by default* do not source the .profile (or .bash_profile)
> files.  And worse when some distros have tried to set this up they
> have sometimes made a mess of things.  (For example SuSE did a hard
> source of ". ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1" with all errors redirected to
> avoid noise in the case of bash versus not-bash syntax.)  Red Hat
> actually has done the best job of this.  I wish Debian would do it
> similarly.

Well, .profile sourcing broke some system.  Changing things around these
thing randomly is real headache ... there shoulkd be some standard.

> > > ,----[ ~/.xsessionrc ]
> > > `----

For me, I gave up using those.  These changes with upstream quite often
and unreliable.  I just use .bashrc now to set my shell.  Any higher
level environment variable settings are done via PAM.  /etc/environment

> Lots of files are possible.  This is topic drive.
> > The bottom line is that I don't have an .xsessionrc , and therefore
> > its not a good place for me to put profile files sourcing.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> If you want it then simply create it.  Andrei told you everything you
> need to know.  Specifically that his file had exactly two lines in it
> and it worked for him to load the two files that he wanted loaded.

Yes.

> I as well gave an alternative solution which accomplishes the task in
> a different way.  My preferred method starts up the shell as a login
> shell and therefore the shell will load up all files that the the
> shell loads up at login time.  The end effect will be very similar.
> The choice of either of those or yet another method is yours to make.

Yes.  That is one way.  Important thing is to have simple and direct
method to do what you wish to get.  What worked at one point breaks,
that is the time to trethink your approach.

Osamu