Richard Owlett wrote:
Having read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device, I suspect
using a loop device will alleviate some of my problems.

[SNIP paragraphs which confused everyone. Thanks to those those who tried.]

I'm looking for something which expands on the first half dozen paragraphs of the Wikipedia article.

Man pages and 'HOWTO's" are aimed at a different audience.
What I'm looking for might make a good assignment for a tech writing course with topic being 'history, function and future applications of loop devices'.

No this is not a homework assignment, Chair of Freshman English at at certain university declared my writing potential as an irretrievable disaster 50+ years ago.