From: Ralf Mardorf [mailto:ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:05 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Upgrading Computer

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 09:38 -0800, David Guntner wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 22:57 -0800, David Guntner wrote:
> >> I build almost exclusively with ASUS motherboards, and every one
> >> has worked just fine with Windows or Linux.  So I'm not exactly
> >> sure what you were going for here, Ralf....
> >
> > ASUS mobos have different chip sets, as the mobos of other vendors
> > have got too. I don't trust generalizations based on experiences for
> > computer gear, even not my own experiences. The vendor that did
> > build good HDDs for the last 5 years might build bad HDDs the next 5
> > years. The company that build everlasting power supplies might use
> > undersized capacitors now. IMO there isn't a real quality standard
> > to count on. Your milage seems to vary.
>
> That's an awful lat of supposition based on things you have no way of
> predicting....
>
> All anyone can do is go on information they have, in hand, regarding
> past performance.  If a company has an established history of turning
> out good stuff with a reasonable degree of regularity, the odds are
> that the next thing they turn out will likely also be good.  Can they
> turn out something bad?  Sure.  But no sane person is going to go with
> something along the lines of, "Oh, the next one might be bad even
> though they've got a good track record so far, so I'm not going to
> take a chance with that new one."
>
> If you've got hard information regarding a particular board in the
> past being bad (bad for lots of people; a case of "it was a good run
> but the board I got was bad" simply means you got a bad one out of an
> otherwise good run), then that's hard information that can contribute
> to a discussion.  Anything else is just a non-sequitur that only
> serves to clutter up a conversation on the subject while making no
> meaningful contribution to it.
>
> In other words, it looks like you're just trolling...

You're mistaken, I won't take the time and search my mails, but you can do it
on your own, somewhere in the ubuntu studio or 64 studio or linux audio users
or linux audio developers archives or any other linux audio archive we talked
about the ASUS mobo I own and about any mobo of any vendor in general. May I
ask you how often you repair mobos or any other electronically gear? There's
nothing wrong when you say that your experiences with ASUS mobos are good, but
there's also nothing wrong when I talk about my knowledge regarding to mobos.
You are the troll, since you didn't post one evidence that ASUS boards are
generally good boards. I bought and will buy ASUS boards because I don't have
much money and ASUS boards are elCheapo mobos and for audio production machines
it's less expensive to buy ten mobos and to test them than to buy one expensive
mobo from a company how gives a vague warranty about "no issues for audio
production". You are trolling because you seemingly don't have experiences with
repairing electronically gear during the last 20 years, so you aren't aware
that vendors have a tendency to make gear less durable and you seemingly don't
use the computer for tasks, such as real-time audio, real-time CNC etc.. IOW on
what basis do you define that ASUS mobos are always good? You simply had good
luck with ASUS mobos and perhaps bad luck with mobos from other companies.