On 2/23/14, 10:09, Markos wrote:
> On 22-02-2014 20:11, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> I'm afraid that I don't understand the problem.  Is this a traditional
>>> async dial-up modem?  If so, I would expect it to be configured with
>>> ppp,
>>> its interface name would be ppp0, and it would not be listed in
>>> /etc/network/interfaces at all.  I don't get it.
>>>

>> I'm guessing it's a cdc_ether device - probably running a web and dn
>> server at 192.168.0.100.  Hopefully the OP will correct my assumption
>> (Vendor and Product codes from dmesg?).
>> I'm not familiar with that particular model - but I've had to hack Linux
>> support for the chipset either side of it (model number).
>>

>> Kind regards
>>

> Dear Scot and Stephen,
>
> I am using this model of modem:
>
> http://www.4glterouter.de/huawei-b890-4g-lte-smart-hub.html
>
> I just tested on another machine and the modem supplied the IP to my
> laptop via wireless and IP to a computer (with 1 NIC) via ethernet
> without problem.
>
> Tomorrow I'll change the network card (of the machine with 2 NICs) and
> test again to see if the problem is the network card.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> Markos

Hi,

If you are having problems with DHCP then why not set eth1 to a static IP?

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0

auto eth1
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.X
        gateway 192.168.1.1

I usually don't set a gateway to the LAN interface in the settings.

*Rod Bio *

Random fortune: /Never try to explain computers to a layman. It's easier
to explain sex to a virgin. -- Robert Heinlein (Note, however, that
virgins tend to know a lot about computers.) /