From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:55:30 +1100
> NOTE: there four different "netcats" available in Wheezy.

I found three.
netcat-openbsd, netcat-traditional, netcat6.

netcat-openbsd pleads ignorance.
peter@dalton:~$ nc -l 25 -e ssmtp
nc: invalid option -- 'e'

netcat-traditional listens on the port; or appears to and does nothing.
peter@dalton:~$ nc -l 25 -e ssmtp
[gears humming]

netcat6 refuses.
peter@dalton:~$ nc -l -p 25 -e ssmtp
nc: bind to source :: 25 failed: Permission denied
nc: bind to source 0.0.0.0 25 failed: Permission denied
nc: failed to bind to any local addr/port

From: Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 23:17:04 +0000
> You start a thread. You then respond to it and break the thread.
> Do you do this by design?

The browser doesn't have a means to include References in the header.
Sorry.  References are at the top of the message and I can include
References in the header when mail is working again.  More explanation here.

From: Pascal Hambourg <pas...@plouf.fr.eu.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 00:22:10 +0100
[Binding to a port below 1024] just requires that the process has the
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE capability.

Thanks.  With that tip I might make nc in netcat6 work.

Regards,                ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca "http://carnot.yi.org/ "