On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Schrey <debian-u...@schreyben.de> wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a workstation to do calculations. It has two Xeon
>> processors with 16 cores and 32 threads in total. I realized that the
>> temperature gets very high on high load typically 80C. That is way too
>> much. Then I changed the fan speed in the bios from auto to high. Now
>> temperatures are reasonable 45C, but it is very noise and it never
>> stops (even with no load) I have to reboot the computer to change the
>> fan speed..
>>
>> I would like to use fancontrol but I  get:
>> /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>>

> Do the fan connectors have 4 pins/wires (PWM control)?
> If not, fancontrol will not work, IIRC.
>
>  It seems that lm-sensors do not read properly the fan. I get:
>> Adapter: ISA adapter
>> Physical id 0:  +44.0°C  (high = +79.0°C, crit = +89.0°C)
>> [...]
>>

>> coretemp-isa-0001
>> Adapter: ISA adapter
>> Physical id 1:  +44.0°C  (high = +79.0°C, crit = +89.0°C)
>> [...]
>>

> So 'sensors' only outputs coretemp-isa-* readings?
>
> You did run 'sensors-detect' to configure lm-sensors?
> Did it find any hardware sensors besides 'coretemp'?
>
> (if it didn't, and you're running Wheezy's stock kernel,
> it might be an option to try a more recent kernel)
>

>  I edited /etc/default/grub and added
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_enforce_resources=lax"
>> as suggested in http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/linux/fixes/w83627hf/
>>
>> But no success. I checked /proc/cmdline and the option
>> acpi_enforce_resources=lax has been taken by the kernel.
>>
>> Any idea or suggestion?
>>

> No clue if that option is really needed for your system...
> Did you add that option because you had actual problems loading
> a hardware sensor kernel module, or ACPI trouble?
> Or was that just trial&error? (not clear from what you wrote)

Dear Ingmar,

Thanks for your answer

I  didn't open the computer. I do not know if the fan connectors have 4
pin. I prefer not to open the computer. It is on warranty.

I run sensors-detect, but no success. It only finds coretemp.

The option that I added in grub was just to try something.

I found out that I can control the fan with i8kutils. I can turn it on and
off, but I can not use it with fancontrol. I would prefer to be able to use
the fan with the standard "fancontrol" but at least it works. The drawback
is that I can not control the speed.

Thanks,
Dan