Quoting Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com>:
I'm sorry, I know nothing of GNOME or Orca - I use KDE and it's
accessibility reader (which also uses espeak).
*But as no one else has replied yet...*

This should 'probably' exist:-
/usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/orca-autostart.desktop

Yes, with gdm3 instead of lightdm, the display manager now talks to me.
I just have to switch it on once by pressing a symbol in the upper
right corner.

It has, however, while reading Spanish, an English voice, i.e. the
pronounciation is totally wrong. It seems, that Orca does not respect
the global language setting (es_AR.UTF-8 in this case, which would
map to "latin american spanish" I presume).

Espeak includes Spanish, and Orca uses espeak (apparently) - so it
"probably" should work in Spanish.

Yes, but one has to configure it explicitly, as it does not respect
the global setting. For the display manager, I don't know how to
configure it for gdm, so the login remains in English - not a deal
breaker, just a bug.

Many thanks!