On 21/03/2014 02:58, Don Armstrong wrote:

[,,,] due to the 35 second difference between TAI and UTC. (The latter
approximates UT1 (earth revolution about its axis), and the former is
absolute time in SI seconds).

You can read about it in /usr/share/doc/tzdata/README.Debian.

Interesting. The readme in Wheezy states that TAI includes 'leap seconds' (the extra seconds added - every so often, a year or so - to compensate for variations in Earth's rotation) and implies that the UTC time basis does *not* include the leap seconds. I wonder if that difference accounts for most of the time difference, suggested by Don to be 35 seconds.

That really does surprise me because I assumed that UTC was, well, the Universal standard and did use (standardised, at present) leap seconds, I had assumed.

And if we set our Debian boxes to UTC for their 'system clock', and they fetch their time from a 'Time Server' somewhere, I wonder if that means that the time servers have to accommodate requests for ether UTC or TAI time. And, therefore, have to keep track of both.

Apologies for taking the thread some way off the original topic, but just interested in this. And I hadn't realised that UTC was adrift from the time-keeping that employs leap seconds - and which I had understood broadcasters to employ. The OP might want to keep in mind that the time he thinks he has set his recording to start may be 35 seconds adrift from when the broadcaster might start. At least, he might want to check what time he uses, and what time the broadcaster of interest uses (but how could he check that?).

regards, Ron