On Apr 14, 2014 9:15 PM, "John Hasler" <jhas...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> shawn wilson writes:
> > No, I don't want to hear from my bank unless there's a problem. If
> > everything is going OK, don't spam me. If its not, by all means, let
> > me know. This didn't affect them so don't tell me anything.
>
> You assume that they would tell you if they were affected.
>
> If I did any online banking (I don't) I'd change all the passwords no
> matter what the banks said and consider closing the accounts and opening
> new ones with different account numbers as well.  Maybe with different
> banks.

Well yes, there are few businesses that have good security and information
policies and who I trust.

However, my point is that banks are in the business of keeping my money -
that's what I pay them for. They're not a news outlet or someone who I
trust to give me advice for the best use of other people's systems. And,
when compromises do happen, we don't hear about it unless there was
specific data loss found.

So basically they should never send me this type of email.