On Lu, 21 apr 14, 15:00:32, c. marlow wrote:
> In the post MSCORE fonts, I talked about how all of a sudden my desktop
> icons just went away when in synaptic, to Ralf, and I had to reboot to
> get the computer to show my desktop icons again.

I can assure you LXDE works fine without any icons on the desktop.
However, it might be that your system has some issues (avoiding the word
'unstable' on purpose).

To rule out Ralf's hypothesis could you please copy paste the output of:

    apt-cache policy
    aptitude search '~i!~A^stable'

Kind regards,
Andrei