On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina.rakotomandi...@rktmb.org> wrote:

> A long time ago, when I was young ;-), services used to be managed with
> "invoke-rc.d" & "update-rc.d" on Debian.

I've never understood why, but "invoke-rc.d" and "update-rc.d" are
meant for maintainer scripts not users.

> Know playing with several distributions, some use "service", "sysctl",
> "systemctl", and some of them are mentionned for managing services in
> Debian.

"service" is a wrapper around "invoke-rc.d". There's an RFE for it to
include a wrapper around "update-rc.d enable|disable" but I haven't
checked its status for a while. "service" can also handle, in Debian
8, native systemd services.

"sysctl" isn't a service manager.

"systemctl" is systemd's service manager but it handles sysvinit init
scripts when they don't have a systemd equivalent, AFAIK by handing
over to update-rc.d/invoke-rc.d.