On 20/05/14 18:00, Richard Hector wrote:
> I like to create filesystems relatively small, on LVM, so that any of
> them can be grown later, when I find out where the space is needed. But
> extending an ext(2|3|4) filesystem doesn't create new inodes, so the
> ratio of inodes to space drops, and eventually this is a problem.

Just a data point, this behaviour has changed;

wheezy's mke2fs(8) has this:
> Be warned that it is not possible to expand the number of inodes
> on a filesystem after it is created, so be careful deciding the
> correct value for this parameter.

Whereas jessie's mke2fs(8) has this:
> Note that resizing a filesystem changes the numer of inodes to
> maintain this ratio.

After a bit of searching, I found this patch applied to e2fsprog:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/40554

I am not sure when the behaviour of resize2fs changed, but the patch
submitter said "The man page still said it was not possible to change
the number of inodes on a filesystem after creating it." suggesting that
there had been some time between the code and doc change.